According to Monsignor Duc and Abbot Henry, Introd’s community started to organize itself as a parish around the 7th/8th Centuries, but are uncertain exactly when the parish church, consecrated to the Conversion of St. Paul, was built. During the centuries it has been restored and renewed many times. The original roof was probably replaced by the current stone vault in 1686, and the ancient gothic altar, consecrated in 1441, was similarly replaced by the present baroque altar. The current altar incorporates a painting representing St. Paul’s Conversion on the way to Damascus, and two lateral altars, consecrated to the Virgin and St. Joseph. In 1906, thanks to corvée works of the inhabitants of the village, the church has been extended and attached to the chancel.
Historical curiosity: the habit of burying dead people inside the church has been maintained during the entire 18th century, as recorded in a document of 1794.
The bell tower
Similar to the Church, the bell tower has been renewed many times, during the last centuries. The lower part, more ancient, has a roman style architecture and dates, according to historians, of 11th century. More recently, most likely before the 17th century –the period in which the old clock was installed – the tower bell has been restored and its steeple rebuilt. Formerly, the iron cross of the steeple had a cock on the top, the symbol of Aosta Valley belonging to Gallican Church. We know, as written by Robert Berton, that that cock “attached to the iron stem, hit and unhinged by lightning, has been ruined and blown away by the wind during a tempest”.